Hey there Blog fans! It's a new year, so that means I have an excuse to start up this blog again! :) So with my apologies for being a slack blogger, here is a recap of what I've been up to since last summer (or in other words, since my last post!)
I've been on the go more than usual, making several trips-from Sierra Leone to the UK and back, from Sierra Leone to the States and back, a sail to Ghana, then to the States for Christmas, Wales to ring in the New Year, a quick visit to Northern Ireland, then a nice long weekend with Amy and Larry in Liverpool before meeting up with the ship in Togo. My head is spinning between Africa and elsewhere...
 |
| An unexpected trip to the UK in August meant some quality sister (and brother Lars) time at Stone Henge - among other incredible sites in England and Wales! |
 |
| My second trip to Liverpool in 2011 - Grover joins the fun! |
 |
| Back at work on the ship - not the most flattering angle, but this is what happens when you give your camera to a 6 year-old plastics patient. :) We had several regular visitors to the OR office this year. (More on these little friends later!) |
 |
I turned 30 in Sierra Leone!!! I recieved rodent birthday cards (thanks, Beth!)...... |
 |
| ...and a few weeks later, rodent tunes! (thanks for the squirrel song, Umba!) After arriving in Charleston, I was whisked away by Tricia and Amber for a belated birthday Chick-fil-a feast! Yum Yum! Then, the wedding festivities began! |
 |
| Amber Williams married Sherief Khalil! Whoop Whoop!!! |
 |
| I got to do one of my favorite things -roadtrip with my best friend Tricia! |
 |
| ...to Saluda, North Carolina where we met up with my Mom and Dad and Ms. Beth. |
 |
| Wisconsin is beautiful in October! I can see why Mom and Dad got married that time of year. |
 |
| I got to go for a hike with Dad on his birthday! |
 |
I was only in wonderful West Virginia for a few days. It's been great to see my family as much as I have this year though!
|
When I got back to Sierra Leone, things were beginning to wind down for the year, but there was still plenty of work to be done. Wow, as I think back... what a year it has been! Many surgeries were completed and countless lives were changed. In many ways this was a very difficult year, but there were some very bright spots throughout the 10 month field service. Brilliant spots even, like little Memuma:
 |
| BEFORE |
 |
| AFTER |
 |
| After surgeries were finished for the outreach, Jane and I had one more chance to go for a hike up the mountain with the Gurkahs. |
 |
| One last party with our fantastic OR Day Workers! We will miss these Sweet Salone smiles. |
 |
| After a nice smooth sail to Ghana, I fulfilled a dream of visiting coffin makers in Teshi. |
 |
| Days after being in Teshi, I was in the home of my Aunt Diane and Uncle Jeff, the owners of the coffe table book that inspired the dream. :) They also happen to be the owners of Cormac, one of the cutest pups in the world! |
 |
| Missing the rest of the cousins |
 |
| MeRrY cHrIsTmAs! |
 |
| hApPy NeW yEaR!!!! |
 |
| The sweetest cows live in Norn' Ireland |
 |
| "We all live in a YellowDuckMarine, a YellowDuckMarine, a YellowDuckMarine!" |
WoW Gingah!!! Nice post/recap of the last several months! And I loved the pictures!
ReplyDeleteYou continue to be an inspiration! I'm so thankful that Larry and I got to see you as much as we did over 2011! Loved seeing more of England and Wales with you and Beth and of course the Yellowduckmarine! :)
Love you and miss you!!! You're in our thoughts and prayers! xoxox
Hey sweet friend! Love the update! What a year! :)
ReplyDelete