Yesterday I went to church on the hospital ward. It was the most unusual church service I've ever been to. We all crowded on unoccupied beds. Two beds down an elderly man was under the covers, taking it all in. I was on one of the cots with 2 other hospital staff and one patient. She looked familiar. She had staples from the base of her neck up around her ear. She was a bit swollen, but looked pretty good. She sat on the bed, swayed to the music and lifted her hands, praising the Lord. It only took a minute to realize I had recognized her from the main screening day. The above picture was taken that day back in February. It was a beautiful site to see this woman post-op and peaceful.There were several patients all bandaged-up (some still oozing)... some jaws wired shut, NG tubes taped in place, Blake drains present, Foley bags in tow... sitting around on the other cots or standing and swaying, humming along or just listening to the singing.
I thought about how this service was so different from church back home! I kinda prefer this setting... keeps you humble and oh so grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment